Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Baby cheesecakes

I feel like a hypocrite writing about cheesecake when I've told you I dislike cheese.. But truth be told, I really don't mind cheese when the flavor is masked by sugar (because I have an insane sweet tooth), so I do love cheesecake.  That said, the last time I was at the Cheesecake Factory I looked at the calorie/fat counts they now include with the menu, and those made me dislike this dessert!  So I decided to mess with a normal cheesecake recipe to make it low-cal, and I was pleased with the results.
Ingredients (makes 10 baby cheesecakes):
-About 5 small biscotti cookies (for crust)
-Approx 1 tbsp almond milk (for crust)
-3 oz non-fat vanilla greek yogurt
-3 oz low-fat ricotta cheese
-4 oz light cream cheese
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1.5 tbsp granulated sugar (I used baking Splenda)
-1 tbsp flour
-1 tsp applesauce
-1 tsp cornstarch
-1 egg plus 2 egg whites
I started with the crust. I would have used graham crackers, but I didn't have any in the pantry and I figured almond biscotti cookies would work too (and they did)!
I think I put about 5 biscotti in the food processor to get the mix looking like this, and I dribbled almond milk into the machine as the cookies gelled up to get a mix with the texture above. You want enough mix to cover the bottoms of cupcake tins like this:
Next time I make this recipe, I've decided that I'll cut a couple of the tins (to make 10 instead of 12) because I felt like my crust-to-cake ratio was a little off this time (they were still good, but it was about 1/3 crust, 2/3 cake and I was hoping for 1/4 crust, 3/4 cake). Once my cupcake tray looked like the above image, I put it in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes to bake the crusts a bit.
While my crusts baked, I made the cheesecake filling.  I cleaned the crust crumbs from the food processor, then used it to blend the cream cheese, ricotta, and yogurt together.  Once these were well mixed, I added in all the other ingredients and blended one more time.

I spooned the filling into the crusts and put the tray back in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees. And the baby cakes puffed up like this!
Finally, the obligatory taste test (with light whipped cream on top to offset my less-than-ideal filling-to-crust ratio). All in all, very good- I wouldn't change any of the filling ingredients! I'll just make a little less crust next time and do 10 cakes instead of 12 so each crust gets a little more filling on top!


2 comments:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm Rebecca from MyNaturalFamily.com. I shared a link to your recipe on my post
    http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/dessert-recipes/healthy-cheesecake-recipe-easy-top-10-favorites/

    I want to make sure it's ok with you that I did so. Please let me know if you want me to remove your image.

    I would love if you could share a little love by sharing the post on your social media accounts. After all, in the end it will help you get more traffic too.

    I am also open to other collaboration ideas so please let me know if you have ideas of how we can help grow each other’s blogs.

    Get More Traffic

    In case you're not already a member of our sister site, InspiringCooks.com I would like to invite you to join it.

    I was frustrated with how much work it is to submit to food submission sites so I created my own site kind of like Food Gawker. The main difference is that you don't have to submit each recipe. All you need to do is fill out this form - http://inspiringcooks.com/submit-recipes/ and we will add your recipe images for you with a link to your site (no recipe on our site). We will also promote your content by pinning both directly from your site and from our site.

    Bonus - when you join Inspiring Cooks, you can also request to be added to My Natural Family’s most popular group boards on Pinterest.

    Make More Money

    I make over six-figures on My Natural Family and I wrote a blog post all about how I do it. I think/hope there are some ideas in it that could help you make more money with your blog - http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/earn-six-figures-blog/

    ReplyDelete