Sunday, February 17, 2013

Brew & Fro

We jump-started our Sunday with Brew, Fromins, and hiking (but not in that order).
We started with some Fro... Fromins is a no-fuss Jewish deli that's a Santa Monica staple. They serve great omelettes and potato pancakes. And they constantly have Groupon offers which we take advantage of.

I always get the veggie omelette with egg whites.  I think this is fairly unique as far as veggie omelettes go, because it's not very often that restaurants serve cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and zucchini with eggs... but that's exactly what Fromins does.  It's a nice deviation from the standard mushroom and spinach omelette that most places give when you order veggie.
And here's Justin with his Denver omelette (no ham, sub in spinach).  Plus his potato pancake with applesauce :)  Yep, he's a happy camper.
Because the weather was so gorgeous, we decided to go hiking.
Up to the Hollywood sign.
And because we happened to pass by Brew on Sunset Blvd while driving home from the hike, we decided to get lattes.  Justin visited the Brew truck downtown near his office, and he's been raving about their lattes ever since, so I went in with high expectations.
Justin ordered us non-fat, sugar-free vanilla lattes while I admired Brew's company info:
And then our lattes were ready!
I was very impressed that the barista was able to create shapes with the foam even though she used non-fat milk; I'd imagine it's much easier to paint these designs with cream!
Drumroll.. First sip.. the latte tasted amazing! So much smoother than Starbucks.  It met and exceeded my expectations.  It's a good thing I don't have one of these near my office because I'd be burning through cash (you get what you pay for... the lattes aren't cheap)!

The Brew fueled our usual 6 mile run when we got home. Then we lunched.  I baked a casserole (inspired by Elise's recipe) yesterday, so all we needed to do was nuke it in the microwave when we came back from our run hungry!

I cubed a butternut squash and let the pieces simmer with 12 oz of coconut water in the slow cooker (covered on low) for a few hours while we were at the movies. When we got home, I added 1/4 cup coconut flour and let it simmer for another hour.
Then I grilled 2 chicken breasts with S&P, chopped them up, and threw them in a casserole dish with frozen broccoli.  I boiled some pasta shells and added them to the dish when they were al dente.
Then I covered everything in the squash sauce and baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  It may look like mac n' cheese, but it's so much better (at least in my opinion)!
And now that Justin's had some coconut flour in the pasta cake, he's asking for more scones


No comments:

Post a Comment