Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Buffalo (turkey) meatballs

I surveyed my fridge tonight and realized I needed to use up (1) lean ground turkey, (2) celery & carrots, and (3) yogurt dip. Justin also received a giant basket full of various hot sauces/buffalo sauces for his birthday last fall and I've been wanting to break out the Frank's Red Hot for quite some time now!  Solution: buffalo turkey meatballs!
I found this Martha Stewart recipe and went on to healthify it (no butter)!

My Red-hot meatball ingredient arsenal:
-Approx 0.7 lb leftover lean ground Jennie-O turkey (about half a normal package)
-2 tbsp Frank's Red Hot
-1 large carrot, chopped
-1 celery stick, chopped
-1/4 cup parsley leaves
-1/4 cup breadcrumbs
-1 tbsp egg beaters

(I stuffed pita pockets with the balls and lettuce and topped with the last of my yogurt sauce. I baked my usual sweet potato fries on the side. So you may want these ingredients too!)
First I pulsed carrots, celery and parsley in the food processor (I didn't puree them so they remained a little chunky).  

Then I combined the veggie/parsley mix with the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, and 1 tbsp of Frank's Red Hot.
Rolled the mix into cute little balls...
And put them in a sautee pan over medium heat for about 10 minutes, to brown the edges up just a little (but they weren't cooked all the way through- still a little pink in the middle). I have a non-stick pan so I didn't use any oil at all.
Then I put the balls on a baking sheet (again, no oil on the non-stick pan) and I poured another tbsp of Frank's Red Hot over them.  If you like spicy, then you may want to add more than a tablespoon here.. I wished I'd added a little more before baking, but I just added more Frank's to my meatballs after the baking so all was well.
Give them time in the oven at 350 degrees. I think I left them in for about 15 minutes, until they were cooked all the way through (no pink in the middle)!
Place in pita/sandwich with any toppings you like (after taking this photo, I added more Frank's plus lots of yogurt sauce), and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment