Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pita pockets & Pie

Dessert photo first. Now I'll back-track to dinner and end with the pie recipe.

When tzatziki sauce is on the verge of expiration, you can count on me to save it from going bad before being consumed!  I also had some fat-free feta (one of the few cheeses I tolerate), chicken, mixed greens and roasted peppers, so I figured I might as well make pita pockets.
And since sweet potato fries skinny bakes go well with any meal, I washed/peeled/sliced a sweet potato and baked the sticks in the oven (with some broil time to finish) and paired them with my pocket.  An in-depth tutorial for the "fries" can be found in this post. Here's the lovely combo before I devoured it.
Then I immediately dug in.
And since dinner was so simple, I figured I'd give you the recipe for the sweet treat I ate afterwards.
The pumpkin pie crust is the same as the one I baked from scratch for my quiche. Find it here.  If you'll remember, it's a homemade crust for the impatient baker (me).  As I mentioned before, too many crust recipes require you to refrigerate the dough overnight, sometimes multiple times just for one crust (eg, once before spreading in a tin, and again after spreading in the tin)... And in the words of Sweet Brown.. "ain't nobody got time for that!"  I think my speedy crust (let's just call it crust on crack) is fantastic. It tastes better than store-bought, pre-made crust, and it does a good job holding this pie filling:
Pumpkin Pie Ingredients (for the filling):
-1 can pure pumpkin (I used Libby's)
-2 eggs
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp ginger
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-2/3 cup sugar (I used Splenda for baking)
-8 oz fat-free evaporated milk (a typical can is more than 8 ounces, so don't pour the whole can in! I always save the remaining evaporated milk- usually 4 oz remains- in an airtight container in the fridge because I make pumpkin pie so often that I can always use the leftover milk in my next pie.. I don't like letting food go to waste!)

Now whisk all the ingredients together and pour the mix in your pie crust.
Bake it in the oven for 60 minutes at 350 degrees.
After baking, let the pie cool (or just eat it hot if you're impatient like me... but the cooling does help it set so I recommend waiting if you can).  Then slice it and top with whipped cream, ice cream, some extra cinnamon, whatever you choose). So easy and so good.




No comments:

Post a Comment