Thursday, February 28, 2013

Seafood & Citrus

I've eaten a lot of chicken and turkey this week, so I felt like seafood tonight. I've also been craving citrus like crazy (I am eating too many oranges to keep track, and adding lemon juice to anything and everything). So I decided to make salmon with a lemon-maple-mustard glaze. I've made this recipe before and it's always a sure thing!  For dessert, I tried making orange peel coconut muffins, but it was a fail. I'll show a couple photos anyways.
Let's begin with the success.

Ingredients for maple/lemon/mustard glazed salmon (serves 2):
-2 salmon fillets (6 oz each)
-1 lemon
-1 tbsp whole grain mustard
-1 clove garlic
-2 tbsp pure maple syrup
-Salt & pepper, to taste
I pre-heated my oven to 375 degrees. Then I put aluminum foil on a baking sheet and placed the fillets on top. I seasoned the fillets with salt and pepper and put them in the oven for 15 minutes.
While they baked, I juiced my lemon into a measuring cup and mixed it with the maple syrup and mustard. Then I minced my garlic clove and added it in.
After 15 minutes in the oven, my fillets looked like this. I pulled them out and folded the foil edges around them to make a little wall (this is so I could pour my mixed sauce in without it escaping onto the baking sheet).
Then I poured in the sauce, making sure a good amount was actually on top of the fish. See how the tin foil walls hold in the sauce around my fillets so they can soak it all up?  This is key to making sure they retain lots of great citrus flavor!
After 10 more minutes in the oven at 375, the salmon was baked all the way through (if you like it more raw, you may want to remove it from the oven sooner).  I plated it with seasoned barley and steamed broccoli.  I love the flavor on this salmon because you get spicy seasoning from the mustard/garlic, sweet seasoning from the syrup, and (of course!) citrus seasoning from the lemon.
And here's my dessert fail. These were still edible, but didn't taste great. Tonight I learned that coconut flour should only be used to make scones and butternut squash pasta bake.  I've tried to use it for muffins and pancakes, and the darn stuff just does not rise at all!
This is how the muffins looked before they went into the oven. Compare them to the previous image and notice that the height remains exactly the same! Darn you, coconut flour!

No comments:

Post a Comment