Monday, February 25, 2013

Turkey chili

I think this turkey chili is the easiest weeknight meal. (Or maybe I've just cooked it so many times that I could make it in my sleep). Either way, it's a good go-to meal when you want some low-cal comfort food with minimal effort in the kitchen.
You might think it's complicated when you look at all the ingredients (and consider that some didn't even fit in my shot), but this is mainly because mix my own spices. Lawry's, McCormick's, and all the other spice brands make pre-packaged chili mix which can make this an even easier recipe. I used to use the Lawry's mix until I realized it was just a blend of all the other ingredients I already have in my pantry, so there's no reason for me to waste $$ on it. That said, if you want to simplify things for yourself, you can just buy the Lawry's chili spice packet and call it a day. Up to you.
Turkey chili ingredients:
-1 package Jennie-O extra lean ground turkey
-1/4 onion, diced (you can also add a clove of minced garlic if you feel like it)
-1 can black beans, drained
-1 can diced tomatoes with juice
-1 can corn with juice
-1.5 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp paprika
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp onion powder
-1/2 tsp oregano
-1 tbsp flour
-1 tsp granulated sugar
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like spicy)
-1 package Jiffy cornbread mix plus 1/4 cup eggbeaters and 1/3 cup milk for the cornbread.
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees for cornbread, then get the turkey browning on a large sautee pan with the diced onion.  On another burner, heat up a large pot with the black beans (juice drained) plus tomatoes (with juice) and corn (with juice). Add about 1 cup additional water which you'll reduce down with the spices (you can always start less and then thin out the mix later depending on how chunky you like your chili).
Next mix together all your spices with the 1 tbsp flour (it helps thicken the stew) and 1 tsp sugar.  Stir them up well and pour them in the bean/corn/tomato pot. Add in the turkey after it's browned, and bring everything to a boil on high for a few minutes.
It should thicken like the above when it boils.  After a few minutes, reduce heat to low and cover it while you bake cornbread.
Follow Jiffy's simple instructions (mixing with milk and egg), put it in a 9x9" pan, and throw it in the oven for about 15 minutes.  (Note that I have more interesting cornbread recipes that I'll share in another post.. this is just my go-to for super quick cornbread).
Now you've got nice golden cornbread and a heaping pot of hearty chili. And unless you're totally ravenous, you should be set for a few good meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment