Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's dinner

For Valentine's Day, it's only proper to start with a dessert photo (chocolate mousse cake wrapped in dark chocolate, white chocolate lemon cake wrapped in white chocolate with candied pineapple-mango, hazelnut-coffee sorbet with cocoa krispies, raspberries with raspberry reduction).  Now I'll back-up...
To kick off the holiday, Justin sent me on my merry way to work with chocolate hearts, and he had the above flowers at my office before 10AM.  So pretty! 
 
Last year I had school from 7-10PM on V-Day (was probably eating a turkey sandwich from home and pounding out case studies in the classroom if I remember correctly), so this year I was very grateful to be able to go out to dinner and celebrate!  I had an afternoon meeting in the Silverlake/Los Feliz area, so it was easy to meet Justin downtown for an evening at the JC.
We started with appetizers and bubbly drinks (champagne for me, pellegrino for Justin).  I was excited about the sushi spread in the bar. Here's my plate (I always get extra ginger and a sinus-clearing amount of wasabi; for some reason I find pleasure in testing the limits of how much wasabi I can handle).
Then we moved into the main dining room where we were greeted by this lovely menu and a drink with a rosebud in it. The drink had brandy and a sweet, lemon-y liquor. 
The 3-course meal started with a beet salad (my favorite!)  It had herbed goat cheese, candied pecans, arugula and blood oranges with the beets.  The citrus was fantastic; I should have asked for more blood oranges instead of nuts/cheese, but I didn't want to be a pest :) 

One of the many things I love about eating at the JC is the fact that they bring you sorbet between courses to "cleanse the palate".  Mid-meal dessert?  Yes, please!  This berry sorbet that came after our salads was surrounded by cubed lychee (in other words, the white/almost-clear gummy deliciousness you see below)!
The main course was sea bass with shrimp and eggplant.  I'm glad it came with eggplant because that meant I got double vegetables! (Justin eats almost any vegetable except for eggplant. I still have hope that one day I'll be able to cook eggplant in a way that makes it palatable for him.. stay tuned for that endeavor).  The fish selection was supposed to come with a lemon piccata sauce lemon-flavored butter, but I had a feeling the fish/shrimp/eggplant would be so well-seasoned that it wouldn't even need the extra fat/calories.  I ordered the entree sans-sauce (as did Justin), and we both enjoyed it this way- there was plenty of flavor going on!
Finally, we concluded the evening out with that amazing dessert from above (meaning the top of the story, though it was pretty heavenly).  Happy Valentine's Day to the love of my life!  I can't wait to marry you in June!

XOXO.
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I love your food blog!! Found it thru your gchat link :) Ben doesn't like eggplant either, but I love it. Maybe we can make dinner one night - eggplant for us, something else for the boys....

    And we were at Disney on Monday, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying it! And yes- let's have a girls night with eggplant!! Next time we're at D-land I'm totally texting you guys! I've been wanting to make a reservation at Blue Bayou for an upcoming weekend because I haven't been since I was 10 and feel like I'm long overdue for a meal there!

      Delete