Saturday, February 23, 2013

Waffles from scratch


As I've mentioned before, we eat lots of Mickey waffles in this household. Usually we make them from a pre-made mix, but today I decided to make them from scratch.  I found a basic recipe online and made adjustments to make it lower calorie.  I also adjusted the quantities of each ingredient to make a smaller yield. Most recipes I found online make giant family-sized yields and I didn't feel like having a bunch of extra batter sitting in my fridge. I also like smaller yields when I'm making changes to tried-and-true recipes because there's always that chance that it won't turn it out as well as anticipated, and if that happens I don't want extra ingredients going to waste!  But this turned out even better than anticipated!  Here goes:
Ingredients (makes 2 large waffles):
-1/2 cup wheat flour
-1/8 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1/8 tsp nutmeg
-1/8 tsp cinnamon
-1 tbsp egg beaters
-1 tbsp applesauce
-1 tbsp granulated sugar (or baking Splenda)
-1/4 tsp vanilla extract
-approx 1/2 cup water (to get the batter to desired consistency)
-approx 1/4 cup finely chopped frozen cherries & blueberries (you could use other fruits if you prefer, these are just what we happened to have in our freezer this morning)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl (you could do the whole wet together, dry together, then combine thing- I just put everything together from the start and it worked out).  Add the water and frozen fruit at the end. I probably added a little more than 1/2 cup water to get the consistency the way I wanted. I don't like super dense waffles, so I probably thinned out my batter more than the average person would.  You do want the batter thick enough so that it clings to your whisk a little, then slowly drips off when you raise it out of the bowl.  Here's my batter in the famous mickey waffle iron:
After a few minutes in the iron, here's the finished product with syrup and an omelette on the side:
I love waffles with hot berry ooze!
I may never use pre-made mix again (OK I probably will out of convenience, but I'll make these whenever I can)!  The wheat flour makes these more filling than your average waffle, and I love that the applesauce (which replaced oil in this recipe) added nice flavor and sweetness to the waffle.

2 comments:

  1. Yummmmm!!! I'm coming over for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete