Thursday, March 7, 2013

Balsamic turkey

I don't think I know anyone who likes balsamic vinegar quite as much as Justin. He will literally drown his food in it.  And I like it too (not quite to the same extent, but I love the flavor). So last night I decided to cook turkey meatballs in it.

 
Ingredients (makes 15 small turkey meatballs, good for 2 servings):
-1/2 package Jennie-O extra lean ground turkey
-2 tbsp diced carrot
-2 tbsp diced onion
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
-1 tbsp italian breadcrumbs
-1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
-2 tbsp tomato sauce
-pinch of dried basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper
-salad, pasta marinara (anything else you like), to make it a meal
For starters, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Then prepare the turkey seasonings that need to be diced/minced. You can pulse stuff in a food processor to get it looking like this, or you can do it with a sharp knife. Above is my bowl of chopped up parsley, garlic, onion, carrot.
I added the breadcrumbs and seasonings to the bowl.
I added the turkey meat, balamic, and marinara.
Got my hands in there and mixed it all together.
Formed 15 meatballs and sauteed them in a pan for a bit (I didn't use oil so I was careful to keep them moving and prevent burning).
Then I added extra balsamic to them (because I love the flavor and I love to see it bubble in the sautee pan).  Once the edges were browned (but insides were still pink), I put the balsamic balls on a non-stick baking sheet and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
And I paired the meatballs with some whole wheat pasta shells, extra marinara sauce, and a healthy dose of red pepper flakes (because I'm addicted to spicy food). It's possible I've burned off a lot of my tastebuds so they're just immune to the spice at this point. Still love it.  You could also pair the meatballs with spaghetti squash or spaghetti pasta, I just used the shells because that's what I happened to have in my kitchen and I was too lazy to go to the store after work yesterday.
Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment