Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Cherry cobbler

I was inspired by this recipe to make cherry cobbler. My 4lb frozen cherry bag from Costco was almost empty and I figured I might as well polish it off (so much for trying to make it last 2 weeks- 8 days is close enough, right?)
Ingredients (for original recipe, click here!):
-2 cups oat flour
-1/4 tsp salt
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp applesauce
-3 tbsp almond milk
-3 tbsp coconut oil
-2 cups frozen cherries (chopped up)
-2 tsp cornstarch
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-3 tbsp maple syrup (I happened to have some cinnamon infused syrup which was excellent as part of the mix!)
-1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp baking Splenda (sorry Splenda, I forgot to include you in my photo- it wasn't intentional I swear!)
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix oat flour, salt, and baking powder together. Then add in the applesauce, milk and coconut oil.
Mix well.
Spray a 9x9" pan with cooking spray. Then press out 1/2 of the batter on the bottom the pan.
Chop cherries very well and get 2 cups worth (yes, you'll get messy. If you'd seen my cherry-sauced hands on my kitchen knife you would have thought I'd murdered someone). Once you've cleaned your hands, add the syrup, vanilla, and cornstarch to the cherries.
Mix well.
Cover the first layer of dough with the cherry mix.
Then roll out a layer of remaining dough and try to cover the cherries with it. (This is the hardest part. If you can get the dough in a perfect even layer above the cherry mixture, you're my hero).
Bake at 350 for approx 45 minutes (I took it out at 40 minutes because I was anxious to eat dessert). You should let it cool for 30 minutes before digging in, but my impatience got the best of me and I immediately started cutting out hot pieces of cobbler and cooling it off with ice cream.
Seriously, I have no self control sometimes. I also love hot baked goods with ice cream. So this was heavenly.
OK so this is what was left of my 9x9" pan after I had my way with it. The good news is that it's so low-cal that I really don't feel guilty.
Oh yeah, and this is what the end product actually looked like once it had cooled properly. But if you want to, go ahead and eat the whole pan before it cools. I certainly won't judge.

2 comments:

  1. YUM!! Wow, that's impressive and delicious-looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And it's Justin-approved (he had my 'bite left behind' when he got home). His approval says a lot since he's a cobbler snob!

      Delete