Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Coconut chicken

I felt like using some of these coconut flakes tonight.
I also had this baby jam that I bought for Justin the last time I was in New York for work. (Justin loves Sarabeth's restaurants, especially because of their jam). We once tried to bring a standard size (12 oz?) jar on a plane ride from the east coast back to LA, but airport security considered it a liquid/gel. They made us trash the perfectly good jam. Saddest airport moment ever. I learned from that incident and now by Justin these tiny little 1.5 oz jars that make it past security.

Anyway, I thought the pineapple-mango jam go great with coconut to make tropical chicken!

Ingredients (for 2):
-1.5 oz jar tropical jam
-1 tbsp coconut flour
-1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
-2 thin-sliced chicken breasts
-1 egg
-1 tsp coconut oil
-S&P to taste, plus sides of choice (I had asparagus and butternut squash on hand)
I started by pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees. Then I made the coconut flakes a little bit smaller (spun them around in the food processor a little bit). The coconut aroma just from doing this was awesome.
Added coconut flour to the flakes. Coated chicken breasts in egg, then coconut mix. Placed them on a baking sheet.
And then mixed the tsp of coconut oil in the leftover egg...
...and dribbled it over the chicken breasts before popping them in the oven.
After about 25 minutes in the oven, they were cooked all the way through.
I put the jam in a microwave-safe bowl with about 1 tbsp of water to thin it out a bit. Then I plated the chicken and topped it with the thinned-out jam.
And served it with steamed and seasoned veggies. This chicken was very satisfying; it had an extra dose of filling fiber from the coconut flour, and it paired beautifully with the Sarabeth's.

No comments:

Post a Comment