Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Enchilada time

 
 Enchiladas can still taste great without the cheese!
 What really makes enchiladas delicious for me is this sauce:
I've tried many others, but this red sauce from TJ's remains my favorite. 
 
Here's the full list of ingredients I use on my enchiladas (for 2 servings):
-2 flour tortillas (I like flour as opposed to corn because I stuff a lot of filler in them and corn tortillas always break on me)
-2 small chicken breasts
-1/2 small yellow onion, diced
-1 cup sliced/washed button mushrooms
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/2 bottle TJ's enchilada sauce
-1 tsp seasoning blend (I used Williams Sonoma chili-lime rub, but you can also mix up little dashes of chili powder, paprika, onion/garlic powder, salt & pepper)
-Any sides you desire (rice, beans, salad)
 
First pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Then sautee the onion, garlic and mushroom together in a pan. I don't use oil; I stir the veggies constantly so they don't burn while cooking on medium heat.  Once they're all soft, I sautee my chicken breasts (using the same no-oil method) in a separate pan with the seasonings, and then I add the chicken to the veggie pan.  Next I roll up the mixture in tortillas, like so.
I'm always sure to spread a generous amount of enchilada sauce both inside and outside the tortillas, so the whole surfact of the tortilla is coated. I reserve some of the veggies to sprinkle on top. You may want to add some cilantro on top, too. Then pop the enchiladas in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes (or you can leave them in longer if you like your tortillas a little crunchier).
While the enchiladas bake, I usually cook up some rice to go on the side. I'd normally make wild rice or barley, but I've got a package of white rice in my pantry that needs to get used. It's not that I don't enjoy eating white rice, it just doesn't fill me up at all. Tonight I figured the enchilada and refried beans that I put with the rice would fill me up enough, and the rice would just be there to add texture (and nice yellow color) to the plate. In case you're wondering how I turned the white rice yellow, I have one word for you: turmeric.
My enchiladas look like the above when they come out of the 350 degree oven.
Then I plate them with the sides (I went the lazy route with the beans tonight; they're fat-free refried black beans from a can). And I added some greens and roasted peppers (because there's no such thing as too many vegetables for me). Ole!

2 comments:

  1. Yummmm! Is the enchilada sauce spicy? And where's the cheese? ;) Just kidding... I'm going to try making these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I know I'm so odd to love cheeseless pizza and enchiladas even though I'm not even lactose intolerant. The sauce is pretty spicy- I love spicy stuff and I don't add extra salsa to my plate for these, so I think that says a lot. Justin adds mild green salsa to it. Maybe start with less sauce to start and you can always add more later!

      Delete