Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Healthified Pizookie

Pizookies are hands down my favorite dessert. Something about the warm cookie, melted chocolate bits, and cold ice cream that create the perfect combination. My problem is that I can easily eat an entire pizookie on my own, and they have well over 1,000 calories plus about 50 grams of fat!  Last night I baked a pizookie that can be consumed all at once without sending your day's calorie/fat count through the roof. (But for the record, I exercised great constraint and only ate half of the 9" cookie).
The recipe is inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe.  Here are the ingredients I used:
-1/2 cup quick cooking oats
-1/2 cup plus 1 tsp granulated sugar (I used baking Splenda)
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/8 tsp baking soda
-1/8 tsp salt
-2 tbsp butternut squash puree (you could also use pumpkin or sweet potato)
-1 tbsp coconut oil
-1 tbsp applesauce
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-3/4 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (the dough is very sweet and pairs well with dark chocolate)
-1 can white beans
*Caveat: One of these ingredients (i.e. the last one) may seem very odd to you. Have faith because you won't even notice they're in there when you eat the baked cookie. They are chock-full of protein and they give the dough a smooth, buttery texture sans cow fat. I was skeptical at first, but was very pleased with the final product*
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Then blend all ingredients (except for the chocolate) in a food processor.  Make sure your mix is very smooth before you mix it with the chocolate. I didn't have regular chocolate chips, but I did happen to have this bar at home. So I cut it up 1/3 of the bar into tiny pieces and managed to sneak some almonds bits in the cookie as a result.
Mixing chocolate bar bits with cookie dough...
Next spray a standard 9" pie tin with cooking spray and spread the dough in it.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, then take it out of the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes.


It will come out nice and gooey.  Eat it plain or with ice cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment