Thursday, March 14, 2013

Jam Muffins

After busting out the Sarabeth's jam for last night's chicken, I've been on a jam kick. And I figured since I love spreading the sweet stuff all over everything from bread to chicken, why not bake it inside something? So I decided to bake it within these healthy wheat muffins.
The base ingredients for this recipe are nearly the same as those for my carrot muffins.

Ingredients:
-1 cup wheat flour
-1/3 cup sugar (I used Splenda for baking)
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 cup skim milk
-1 egg (I used 1/4 cup egg beaters)
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/4 cup no-sugar added applesauce
-pinch of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, then mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add the wet ingredients...
Mix it all together real good...
Spoon part of the batter into cups (leaving some batter for post-jam topping). I made a mini batch of 5 using the measurements above.
Add heaping spoonfuls of jam. 
I think I put about 1.5 teaspoons of jam in each cup, and in retrospect I would have added even more, about 1 tablespoon total.
And I couldn't help but add a few berries to each cup.
Since I had this giant bag of frozen berries from last weekend's Costco run!
Don't they look nice? I like baking with frozen berries as opposed to fresh ones, because the fresh ones tend to get so hot in the oven that they explode and sometimes look like a mess when they come out.
Next I spooned a little more batter on top of the jam/berries, and I popped them into the 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
And removed the pan to see this! Love the way the jam/berry combo bubbled to the top just a little bit!
Deeeelish. These will be great for breakfast on the go. Next time I'd add more jam to the middle and maybe even some peanut butter to make it a PB&J muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment