Monday, March 18, 2013

Jambalaya

I love jambalaya, but I never order it at restaurants because I dislike the sausage and I'm always skeptical that they throw a lot of butter and cream in the mix. I make a lightened-up jambalaya with just shrimp and black-eyed peas for protein.
Ingredients (makes 2 to 4 servings depending on how hungry you are):
-3/4 cup rice, uncooked
-3 cups vegetable stock
-1/2 onion, diced
-1/2 green bell pepper, diced
-2 stalks celery, chopped
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-2 tomatoes, diced
-1 can black-eyed peas
-1 tsp worcestershire sauce
-1 tsp hot sauce (I use cholula)
-3 bay leaves
-1/2 lb shrimp (I buy the EZ peel kind that's already been de-veined because I don't have the patience or guts for that process)
Spices:
-1 tbsp paprika
-1.5 tsp garlic powder
-1.5 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp dried thyme
-1 tsp oregano
-1.5 tsp salt
-pinch of cayenne pepper (add more if you like spicy)
Mix those spices together and save for later!
Heat a very large pan over medium heat and sautee onions, pepper, celery for about 5 minutes. Then add in the tomatoes and garlic and stir it up a few more minutes.
Add worcestershire and hot sauce and stir a little more.
Add vegetable stock and 3 bay leaves.
Add rice.
Crank up the heat from medium (you still had it on medium, right?) to high so it can boil for a minute while the rice is in there. Then reduce heat back to medium and stir periodically for 15 minutes.
During that 15 minutes, you can peel your shrimp and remove the tails.
Then put the shrimp in a plastic bag (I used the one it came in when I bought it at the seafood counter), add most of the cajun spice to the bag, and shake it up!
It should coat the shrimp well, and you may have some extra cajun spice mix which you can add to your pan later, or save for another meal if you don't want too much spice/herb in your jambalaya.
Add the shrimp to your pan after the rice has been in there 15 minutes, and keep the heat on medium so the shrimp can cook up.
After 10 minutes, the shrimp should be fully cooked! At this point, I added my can of black eyed peas. Let it reduce for a few more minutes.
I paired it with some salad, finished, went back for seconds. Success in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment