Friday, March 8, 2013

Mad about mango

I was out of frozen berries this morning and decided to make a mango smoothie to go with my eggwich. The ingredients were very basic. Trader Joe's frozen mango chunks, 3/4 cup water, a few ice cubes, and 1/2 tsp chia seeds.
It came out nice 'n thick thanks to the texture of the mangoes plus the chia seeds! You could make it creamy using yogurt or milk, but I just wanted pure water and mango today. In my Disney villain cup to get in the mood for work...
Fast forward to after work.. I had this lovely fresh mango that I got from Melissa's on Monday...
 
...and I've been wanting to make these skinny mango cheesecake cups for awhile. So I made it happen! I altered the ingredients ever so slightly:

Ingredients:
-8 oz light cream cheese
-6 oz container mango greek yogurt (I used Trader Joe's brand)
-1/4 cup sugar (I used splenda for baking)
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 tbsp flour
-1 large egg
-1/2 cup ground up almond biscotti plus 1-2 tbsp almond milk (for crust)
-1 large mango, pureed
Put your crust base (I used biscotti) in the food processor with almond milk (enough milk so that it gels together).
Press the crust into 12 cupcake tins and pop these in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees before you add the filling to them.
Cut up your ripe mango and put the chunks in the food processor. I get as much meat as I possibly can out of the mango... 
.. but even so, it still feels like I'm missing out on so much because the pit is such a big part of these buggers! That's all pit above (even after I scraped around it with a knife as much as possible)!
After blending, you'll get this lovely puree. I had to resist drinking this straight out of the food processor.
Now that you've massacred your mango, it's time to make the cheesecake part of the filling (with the above ingredients). Blend them all together (I used my kitchen aid mixer for this part).
Add a layer of cheesecake blend to the cups, followed by dollops of mango puree, then a little more cheesecake blend, and swirl it with a fork.
After 25 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees, you get this. I know, it doesn't look so great (if you can actually make these look beautiful, then you should really pursue a career in food styling). But outward appearance aside, this tasted good (and that's what truly matters, right?)!
It's a bit like a lemon bar but with mango (and I love lemon bars), it's just got some yogurty-sweet cheesecake-ness built into it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment