Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mango salsa salmon

Last night I made salmon with mango salsa, lemon asparagus, and honey-lime sweet potato mash.
After going to Whole Foods paycheck and buying salmon, I was determined to cook it really well and justify the cost. I don't always spend incremental $$ to get organic, all natural food, but I do when it comes to fish. I've read enough compelling articles about issues with farm-raised salmon that I'm willing to pay more for wild atlantic salmon.
Whole paycheck sells atlantic salmon in 5 oz portions. They didn't look big enough to satisfy Jen/Justin appetites, so I asked for 3 pieces.  I coated a baking sheet with cooking spray, then added the salmon with some salt and pepper plus the juice of 1/2 a lemon. I baked it in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, then I cranked the oven up to broil on high for 5 more minutes to finish it off. If I'm cooking salmon as opposed to eating it in sushi, I like it really well done. If you like medium-baked salmon, you may want to avoid the broiling, or broil for less than 5 minutes.
While the salmon baked, I made the topping! I cut up a mango into tiny pieces, then diced 1/4 of an orange bell pepper and 1/4 of a jalapeno to add some kick to the dish. I squeezed 1/2 a lime into the mix.
You could also sprinkle a tiny bit of cayenne pepper if you want an extra kick.
I also boiled sweet potatoes while the salmon cooked. I diced up 2 potatoes into small pieces so they'd be mashable relatively quickly. I waited approx 30 minutes before mashing.
After mashing, I added juice from the other 1/2 of my lime.
Plus about 1 tbsp honey.
And finally, I steamed asparagus. First I bent the bottom of each asparagus spear and broke them at the natural break to get the stem off. I microwaved them on high for 4 minutes (in a glass tray covered in saran wrap with some water at the bottom for steaming). I topped the spears with salt, pepper, and the other half of the lemon that I used to spritz the salmon.
When all of the pieces were done, I plated it together like so.  When Justin ate it, he said he liked it so much that he would have paid $20 for it at a restaurant. I then clarified that it was $20 salmon. And I was happy that I seemed to have gotten my money's worth out of that fish purchase.
So I celebrated with frozen yogurt from Toppings. This yogurt shop is the best.
Just look at the variety of toppings. They have everything from corn nuts, pickles and potato chips to fresh baked pie chunks, brownies, and circus animal cookies.
I got cappuccino and cheesecake yogurt with raspberries, graham cracker crumbs, sprinkles and chocolate-covered sunflower seeds.
Toppings calculates the # of combinations you can make with all their yogurt flavors and topping selections. It's a whopping 3,748,403 combinations. Quite impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment