Monday, March 11, 2013

Pomegranate chicken

When you're in the mood for something sweet even before dinner, pomegranate-almond chicken is the way to go! This giant bottle of pomegranate juice that I bought at Costco on Saturday has been staring me down saying "use me!" and I'm happy to report that I found a great use for it.
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
-2 chicken breasts, sliced thin
-1 egg
-1/4 cup honey roasted slivered almonds
-1 cup pomegranate juice
-1/2 onion
-balsamic vinegar, to taste
-asparagus & butternut squash (or any other sides you feel like)
Start by crushing the almonds (I put them in a ziploc and smashed away with the bottom of a cup).
Dip chicken breasts in these 2 mixtures: egg first (I added salt and pepper to the egg to get some seasoning on the chicken), smashed almonds next.
Put the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (until chicken is cooked all the way through).
Meanwhile, sautee the onions in a pan on medium-high heat, stirring frequently, to brown them just a bit. Then add the pom juice and a tsp or so of balsamic vinegar to the pan.
I used this fig balsamic that I got for Justin from Olive & Thyme. It's goooood.
The sauce reduces like this and it's very sweet (the pom juice gets so concentrated)!
I also grilled some asparagus with S&P plus lemon juice while the sauce boiled and chicken baked. And I roasted some butternut squash in the oven with the chicken.
Then I plated all the elements and garnished the meal with fresh pomegranate seeds. The crunch of the almond bits combined with the burst of sweetness from the seeds and the glaze was a definite palate-pleaser.

And even though I had a sweet entree, I still had dessert (of course)! I'll share that later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment