Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Quinoa burgers

This burger was an amalgamation of a bunch of ingredients I wanted to use up! My almost done bag of quinoa, diced peppers & onion leftover from a recent batch of buffalo chicken pizza and succotash, and homemade hummus. It all worked together quite well!
Note that my measurements aren't really exact, but you can use these approximations and work it all into patties that hold together well.
Ingredients (for 2 burgers):
-3/4 cup cooked quinoa
-3/4 cup combo of diced red peppers, white onion, corn
-1/2 cup hummus (with some extra cumin)
-1 tbsp egg beaters
-1 tbsp italian seasoned breadcrumbs
-1 tsp chia seeds
-burger buns, lettuce, tomato, and any side(s) you like (I suggest baked sweet potato fries)
I sauteed the veggies a few minutes to bring out their flavors.
Got out my homemade hummus. Recipe at this link. I sprinkled some cumin on top to give the patties an extra dose of flavor.
Mixed the veggies and hummus with the quinoa.
Added all other ingredients (egg, breadcrumbs, chia seeds), and let the mixture sit a few minutes so the chia seeds could gel.
Formed patties like so and put them on a well-sprayed sautee pan over medium heat.
Browned them (this was after approx 5 minutes on each side).
Then I sandwiched them between buns with lettuce, tomato and condiments. With salad and baked sweet potato fries on the side. Perfect way to make a healthy and flavorful dinner while clearing up some cabinet/fridge space!

No comments:

Post a Comment