Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sweet potato bread


This sweet bread is pretty dreamy, and it has no butter!  Apple sauce, sweet potato, and just a touch of coconut oil give it all the moisture it needs! The ingredient list may look daunting, but this really only took a few minutes to throw together before I popped it in the oven.
 
Ingredients:
-1 cup plus 1 tbsp oat flour (you could use regular white or wheat flour instead if you don't have oat flour)
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 cup sugar (you can use granulated sugar or brown sugar, I used baking Splenda) 
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp cinnamon (you may want to use more, I only used 1/2 tsp because my syrup was cinnamon-infused!)
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp ginger
-1/2 cup sweet potato puree
-1/2 cup applesauce
-1.5 tsp coconut oil
-5 tbsp maple syrup (I used cinnamon-infused syrup)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-2 tbsp egg beaters
-4 tbsp milk (I used almond milk)
-dried cranberry and shredded coconut for topping (if you want)
 
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Then mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Puree the sweet potato in a food processor (a blender would work too, but it might make for chunkier bread).
Add the sweet potato puree to the dry ingredient bowl, then add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix it well.
Coat an 8x8" pan with cooking spray and pour in all contents from the mixing bowl. Then add dried cranberries and shredded coconut (or any other toppings of choice) to the top!
Bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes (until you can poke it with a knife and see the knife come out clean). Watch it carefully to get the perfect baking time; ovens vary.
Technically speaking, you should allow approximately 20 minutes cooling time before digging in, but when I baked the pictured bread, I was over-eager and sliced myself a few pieces fresh out of the oven.
And because I live for warm baked goods with cold ice cream, I did the expected.  With a sprinkle of cinnamon for good measure.
This bread kept well in the fridge and Justin and I snacked on it for days! Not all butterless baked goods turn out this tasty, but this was a winner of a baking experiment. It will be repeated, in my kitchen at the very least :)


No comments:

Post a Comment