Thursday, April 25, 2013

Apple crumbles

Do you ever have those apples that have sat in the fridge a little too long and you can just tell they might have lost the crispness that makes them so good on their own? We had one of those in the fridge tonight, and instead of forcing myself to eat a sub-par apple without its crunch, I decided to bake it and make it delicious! I love apple crumble/cobbler (whatever you want to call it), so I set out to make a low-fat (no butter) apple crumble for dessert. 
Here's what I used for 2 personal servings of a basically fat-free apple crumble:
-1 large apple, chopped (note that it doesn't have to be on the verge of expiration like mine was, but this is a good method for salvaging such apples!)
-2 tbsp milk
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-2 tbsp sugar (I used baking Splenda)
-pinch of salt
-3 tbsp whole oats
-2 tsp oat flour
-1 tbsp applesauce
First I mixed the apple, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar together.
Then I sprayed two 2-cup sized souffle cups (oven-safe) with coconut oil spray.
Filled them with equal parts of the apple mixture.
Then prepared the oats!
I put the oats, oat flour, and applesauce in my mixing bowl.
And stirred them together to make my crumble topping.
Placed it artfully over the apples.
And put the oven-safe cups in the 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. I turned the oven to hi-broil after 25 minutes and let the tops get crispy for about 2 minutes.
Until they were perfectly golden brown. I removed them very carefully from the oven, topped them with whipped cream and an extra dash of cinnamon, and dug in (with caution, they were HOT)!  If you're impatient like me and want to eat immediately, just keep adding more whipped cream to cool off your spoonfuls and go for it. There's no shame in that :)

1 comment: