Sunday, April 14, 2013

Coconut curry chicken

I had some leftover lite coconut milk from my pineapple coconut bundt baking, so I used it to make some curried chicken.
Here are the ingredients I used (for 2 servings):
-2 thin chicken breasts
-1/2 yellow onion, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 large tomato, diced
-1/2 cup lite coconut milk
-coconut cooking spray (you can use regular cooking spray if you don't have coconut)
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp turmeric
-1/2 tsp coriander
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
-salt, to taste
-3/4 cup rice
-1.5 cups vegetable broth (for the rice)
-chopped cilantro (for garnish)
First I got my onions and garlic sauteeing with some coconut oil spray in a pan over medium-high heat.
Then I got my rice going. I brought the vegetable broth to a boil, then added the rice, turned the heat to low, and covered it for 15 minutes.
Next I mixed the spices for the chicken (coriander, cayenne pepper, turmeric and cumin).
I coated the uncooked chicken with the spices and put it in a pan (sprayed with the coconut spray) over medium heat.
Now that my onions were getting translucent, I added the diced tomato and 1/2 cup lite coconut milk to my onion/garlic pan and continued to stir it all over medium heat.
When the chicken was almost fully cooked-through, I added the breasts to the onion/garlic/tomato/milk pan, and I let them simmer over medium heat until there was no pink in the chicken.
Finally, I plated the chicken over rice and poured the veggie/milk mix on top. I garnished it with cilantro and had salad on the side. The spices and garlic give this dish a great kick, and the coconut milk tames it ever-so-slightly.

1 comment:

  1. We love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. We are new but at foodieportal.com we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.

    ReplyDelete