Monday, April 15, 2013

Greek meets Italian

This past weekend was full of usual favorites that I've blogged about before... spinach burgers, berry pancakes, panini, turkey burger. I did; however, take a stab at making cannelloni a little different from the last batch I made. So I made a mini-batch with a little greek inspiration for my Monday work lunch.
Here's what I used (to make a serving for 1):
-3 large cannelloni pasta shells
-1/4 lb ground turkey breast
-1/4 yellow onion, diced
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 tbsp fat-free feta
-2 tbsp artichoke tomato spread (from World Market), any tapenade you enjoy would work here!
-1/2 cup arugula
-1/4 cup hummus (if you want the kind I used, I have a recipe to homemade hummus at this link!)
-seasoning salt and pepper, to taste
I started by boiling the cannelloni for a couple minutes, then letting it simmer on low for about 10 minutes. This was the maiden voyage for the new All Clad pot I received at my bridal shower. So much better than my old pot. Love!
While the pasta boiled, I cooked up the turkey.
And I threw in the onions and garlic to cook with it. I also added a healthy dose of Lawry's seasoning salt and pepper.
This stuff is so good. If you go dine at the Tam O'Shanter and sign up to be a Lawry's VIP (for a small $25 fee), they send you these seasonings in the mail. The $25 fee to sign-up really pays for itself because they also send you a $25 gift certificate in the mail. Good deal, my friends!
Now back to the cannelloni... after the turkey browned, I mixed it up with the hummus, arugula and feta.
Then I pulled the shells from the pot, put them in a oven-safe dish with about 1 cm of cold water, and stuffed them!
And I coated the tops with extra hummus and tomato-artichoke tapenade.
Then I baked them in the oven at 375 for about 15 minutes.
And they were ready to be tupperwared for lunch at the office. Nothing like a good homemade lunch to get excited about a meeting-full workday :) It tasted delicious and now 3 people have walked by my office and mentioned it smells amazing, so I deem this concoction a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment