Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lemon bar love

I love lemon bars. I eat the decadent kind (the ones with lots of egg yolks and buttery crust) whenever I'm at Staples Center and the dessert cart comes by. But for awhile I've been wanting to make a healthier version, and I finally tried it.
I was inspired on Sunday when I saw these beautiful lemon bars at the bridal shower my aunts threw for me! Such a beautiful dessert spread. And of course I tried (and finished) each variety of dessert :)
We really lucked out because it was the perfect day for an afternoon lunch outside on the patio!
Complete with mimosas- guava, orange, and pomegranate varieties with fresh fruit! I'm very excited about my new ice bucket :)
And games.
And adorable place settings. I'd never thought about using faux diamond rings as napkin rings before- genious!
My plate was full of salads, finger sandwiches, and (of course) sweets. If you look carefully here, you can see my lemon bar.. (it's like where's waldo).
Since I could eat lemon bars all day, I figured I might as well figure out how to make a lighter version that still has the great taste going on! So last night I made these :)
Ingredients:
-1 cup baking Splenda (or stevia)
-3 tbsp all purpose flour
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-pinch of salt
-juice of 1 large lemon
-zest from lemon
-1 whole egg
-1 egg white
-5 small almond biscotti
-2 tbsp almond milk
I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees. Then I started with my usual crust. A few almond biscotti in the food processor with a couple tablespoons of almond milk (I basically add the milk until the mixture gets gummy and malleable).
Like so.
Then I spread it out in my 9x9" baking pan (which was first coated with no-stick spray).
Then I got to work on the filling. I juiced and zested 1 large lemon into my food processor, then I added in the sugar, flour, salt and baking powder, and gave it a whirl. I whisked my eggs in a mixing bowl, then added the mix from the food processor to the bowl.
Then I pured the lemon filling mixture on top of my crust and popped the 9x9" baking pan into the oven for about 23 minutes at 350 degrees. While it cooked, I made sugar-free powdered sugar (yeah I know that sounds odd, but bear with me).
All I did was add about 1/4 cup of baking Splenda to my blender with about 1/8 tsp cornstarch, and I blended it all together.
It looked like a blizzard in there.
And I ended up with this powder (if I'd wanted, I probably could have made a larger batch and saved the extra no-calorie powdered sugar for another time, but I just made a small amount for my lemon bar topping).
After my bars were done baking, I sprinkled them with the powder, cut them up, and dug in. The bars were pretty skinny, so the next time I make these I might double the filling to make them fatter. And maybe add a little turmeric to make them a brighter yellow. In the meantime, I'll just savor this batch :)

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious! And your shower looks SOOO cute, like out of a magazine! I've gotta try a guava mimosa sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm all about the guava juice- makes me feel like I'm in Hawaii!

      Delete