Sunday, April 21, 2013

Lemon blueberry cakes- 2 ways!

For some reason I had an overstock of lemon in my fridge recently. Since I love the combo of lemon and blueberry, I decided to come up with a couple of new concoctions. I also love lemon poppy seed baked goods, so I tried a healthy alternative of lemon chia seed pancakes.  Here are my 2 recipes!
I'll start with the lemon blueberry quinoa cakes.
Ingredients (makes approx 10 small cakes):
-1.5 cups cooked quinoa
-1 tbsp white flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-juice from 1/2 lemon
-1 tbsp honey
-4 packets stevia (or any other sweetener, or 4 tbsp granulated sugar)
-1/2 tsp vanilla syrup (extract would work, too)
-1 tsp chia seeds
-5 egg whites (I used approx 1/2 cup liquid egg whites)
-1 cup frozen blueberries (frozen bake up much better than fresh, the frozen ones don't burst in the oven).
I quick-cooked the quinoa in the microwave, covered on high for about 6 minutes. Then I let it cool in its bowl for about 20 minutes before adding the other ingredients.
I let the chia seeds soak up in the lemon juice while the quinoa was cooling. Then I mixed everything together.
And I got this lovely mixture! It's important to let it sit and gel for at least 5 minutes before putting it in the baking pan.
I filled up 10 muffin cups!
And baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 23 minutes to get this! (Watch them as they bake so they just get a tiny bit brown on top).
And now I give you recipe #2... Lemon chia pancakes!
For these I mixed the following together (this made 2 small servings for me and Justin; this would be 1 serving if you're very hungry):
-1/2 cup white flour
-2 tbsp granulated sugar (or baking Splenda or other sweetener)
-1/2 tsp chia seeds
-juice of 1/2 lemon
-approx 1/3 cup water (to get it to the right consistency)
-1/2 cup frozen blueberries
I didn't add the frozen blueberries to the mix until I'd poured it into the pan. Make sure your pan is hot before you spray it with cooking spray (and of course before you pour the mix in!)
They'll brown up like so!
And you can top them with blueberry compote! (Just microwave about 8 large frozen blueberries in a ramekin with vanilla syrup- I used about 1 tsp of torani sugar-free), and you have a delicious topping!

No comments:

Post a Comment