Saturday, April 6, 2013

Mini-cinis!

I've been wanting to make cinnamon rolls for a long time now, but I've been deterred because it takes so long to wait for the dough to rise. This morning I gave it a shot with the help of Elise's recipe. My mini-batch/apple-cider version still needs some tweaking (and I need more patience to let the dough rise longer), but it was good for a first try! Justin and I nearly ate them all at once (and we almost did- we were both being polite and left the last one. Maybe I'll give it to my mom because she's flying in for a visit today :)
Here are the ingredients I used for my mini-batch:
For dough:
-1/2 cup wheat flour
-1/2 cup white all-purpose flour
-1.5 tsp active yeast
-1/2 cup milk
-1 tsp coconut oil
-1.5 tsp granulated sugar
-1/8 tsp salt
For filling:
-1 small apple, chopped into tiny pieces
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 cup apple cider
-1 tbsp maple syrup
-1/2 tsp brown sugar
-pinch of nutmeg
We start with the dough. First warm up the 1/2 cup milk, coconut oil and granulated sugar in a saucepan on low heat (just so it gets lukewarm). Next to the pan, put the 1.5 tsp yeast in a cup with about 1.5 tablespoons of lukewarm water and let it sit 5 minutes while the milk mixture warms in the pan. After 5 minutes, add the yeast/water mix to the pan and stir it around for a minute.
Pour the warm milk/yeast mixture in a mixing bowl and add in the flour, 1/2 cup at a time. If you want fluffier rolls, I'd suggest using all white flour. I think the wheat flour I used made mine more dense, less fluffy.
Now comes the part that tries your patience. You should knead the dough, let it sit 10 minutes, then knead again, then let the ball sit for 1 hour so it can rise. I did some kneading and went on a run to keep myself from rolling out the dough before it was ready.
I also made my filling. I threw all the filling ingredients in a saucepan together under medium/high heat and let them simmer until all the juices had bubbled and reduced!
When I got back from my run, I rolled out the dough into a thin rectangle and spread the filling on top.
Then I rolled it like a burrito.
At this point, I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees. Then I cut the burrito roll into pieces and put them into a round pie tin that I'd coated with cooking spray. I got 10 mini-rolls out of this recipe.
You should let the rolled buns sit out to rise for another hour or so, but I impatiently put them in the oven for approx 20 minutes..
So they didn't puff up as much as they should have, but they were still tasty! If you love cinnamon rolls that taste like the 1,000-calorie ones at cinnabon, you would probably not like these. They're very low-cal, light and healthy. But the apple compote gives them great fat-free flavor! Justin approved and ate half the batch, and he'd be honest with me if he didn't like them! If you want to make them a little more decadent, you could add some light cream cheese frosting. But I liked them without frosting. And if you're more patient than I am, you'll probably get even fluffier, prettier rolls than I did! And on of these days I will get around to stocking my kitchen with peanut butter and nutella so I can make Elise's rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment