Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mushroom risotto

This stuff is a labor of love. Seriously. I think I'll leave risotto cooking to Justin from now on. It just takes so long and really tested my patience! But finishing it is quite satisfying!
I'll start with the ingredients (for 3-4 servings, depending on your hunger-level!)
-2 chicken breasts
-10 oz sliced mushrooms (I used white; cremini, bella, or a combination would work, too)
-1/4 tsp each oregano, basil, thyme
-1 yellow onion, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-3 cups chicken broth
-1/2 cup white wine
-3/4 cup arborio rice
-squirt of lemon
-salt and pepper, to taste
I first sauteed the onions and garlic until onions were slightly translucent.
Then I added the mushrooms.
And sprinkled the herbs on top.
Then I stirred it all until the mushrooms started releasing juices.
At which point I warmed my chicken broth.
Then transferred the warm broth into a bowl and put the mushrooms in the larger skillet over low heat.
Then I added the arborio rice and stirred real quick over low heat.
Then added the 1/2 cup white wine after warming it just a tad in the microwave.
And stirred like crazy (over low heat the whole time).
Then quickly added bits of broth, about 1/2 cup at a time. And stirred like crazy.
And added bits of cooked chicken breast (I'd previously browned the chicken).
And stirred like crazy.
And I just continued stirring like crazy for about an hour. Seriously, pour yourself a glass of white wine to sip while stirring if you're impatient like me and want to keep yourself from cursing the rice for not soaking up liquid faster. Keep adding the chicken broth little bits at a time, until it's all soaked up. Then add a bit more. Add your spritz of lemon, too. And keep on stirring!
But it will be worth it when everything thickens up like this!
And you can plate it and EAT! I was so hungry by the time this was ready. Lesson learned, don't pursue risotto if you're hungry before you even begin making it!

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love risotto! I think it's worth the time in the end... but I always make a big pot of it, so at least I can have it for a while. Have you ever tried baked risotto? I have an awesome recipe for baked butternut squash risotto, and all you have to do is combine everything in a big pot, cover, and stick it in the oven. Just as good as the kind where you have to stir it for an hour!! Let me know if you want the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried baked risotto, but would love to! The thought of avoiding all the stirring is just fantastic :-) And I LOVE butternut squash so I'm sure I'd enjoy your recipe- send it on over!

      Delete