Friday, April 19, 2013

Stuffed crust pizza

I got a pizza stone from my wedding registry yesterday and couldn't wait to use it!
This thing is amazing. Absolutely no sticking. And the crust cooked so evenly.. Now back to this crust. You may think it's odd that someone who doesn't like cheese would make a stuffed crust pizza. Well I didn't stuff it with cheese...
I did something crazy. I stuffed the crust with sweet potato puree.
Yep, I chopped up two small sweet potatoes, put them in a microwave-safe bowl with some water, put saran wrap over it, and microwaved it for a few minutes.
Then I mashed up the potatoes with a tablespoon of honey. And now I was ready for dough time.
I did heat up the stone in the oven before spreading dough on it (the owners booklet recommended it). I put some cooking spray on the stone with the flour (since I hadn't tested it yet, I didn't realize it would be so great in the no-stick department!) I'd also let the dough sit out at room temperature for about an hour before spreading it out (this way it's super easy to work with).  
With the dough on the stone, I just spooned little bits of the sweet potato around the edges, and rolled the dough over the potato puree.
Then I got out my favorite spreads from Williams Sonoma. The best of the best is the balsamic onion marmalade and I thought it would go well with the sweet potato.
Spread it out all over the pizza.
And topped it with some chopped chicken, diced onion (which I'd sauteed for a few minutes), and extra (thin sliced) sweet potato rounds.
After 10 minutes in the oven at 425 degrees, it was ready for eating!
But not before I added some of this excellent fig balsamic vinegar tossed with arugula!
Yessss :)
Look at the sweet potato oozing out of the crust! So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment