Thursday, April 11, 2013

Stuffed peppers

I love bell peppers on their own. I love them even more when they're stuffed with tasty veggies, grains and meat! Tonight I used some odds and ends to make these!
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
-2 large bell peppers (any color you like!)
-1/2 cup dry quinoa
-1 cup vegetable broth
-Approx 1/4 lb ground turkey
-1/2 tsp paprika
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp onion powder
-1/4 tsp oregano
-pinch of salt & pepper
First I pre-heated the oven to 375 degrees. Then I got the quinoa cooking. I went the fast route and nuked it in the microwave. 1/2 cup dry quinoa with 1 cup of vegetable broth in a microwave-safe bowl with saran wrap covering the top. Microwave for 5 minutes on high, stir, 2 more minutes on high. Let sit a couple minutes before removing saran so quinoa can soak up all broth and get nice and flavorful!
Then I browned the turkey with all the herbs/spices.
Next I hollowed out the peppers, making sure I rinsed out all the seedy insides :)
And I placed the hollowed peppers in a small glass dish (oven-safe) with a pool of water at the bottom of the dish (about 1 centimeter deep).
I then stuffed the peppers with the quinoa and turkey (I really pushed it all in there to make it fit!)
And I topped them with some cilantro and (my favorite!) tomato-artichoke tapenade from World Market!
And baked them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, until the pepper skins got a little wrinkly and just a tiny bit brown! I let them cool for about 20 minutes so as not to burn my tongue (I think the quinoa and meat get really hot inside the little pepper bowl)! So yummy!!
I must say, these make for a pretty nice visual presentation :) I went simple tonight because I was simply using spare ingredients from my fridge, but you could get more creative and add sauteed onions and garlic, mushrooms, spinach, you name it!

No comments:

Post a Comment