Monday, May 6, 2013

Calzones

I almost made another lazy pizza tonight. But then I decided to put a slightly different spin on it and make calzones.
It all started with 2 of my favorite things... my pizza stone and Trader Joe's garlic herb pizza dough. I didn't really follow a recipe, but I can explain my thought process as I winged it..
I sauteed some frozen spinach to thaw it, and added mushrooms and onions to it. Then spiced it up with a sprinkle of S&P, some garlic powder, and these three guys.
Then I also spiced up some lean ground turkey breast with S&P plus basil and thyme...
And once the meat was browned and the veggies were properly sauteed, I started the wrapping process.
I floured the pizza stone.
Then I divided the dough into 3 large pieces and flattened them out. I threw some veggies and meat on the flat pieces... And then I rolled them up as neatly as possible.
They had some thin spots and little holes here in there, which was actually a good thing because they needed some air while baking. I also brushed a little egg wash on them so they'd tan up nicely.
After about 13 minutes in the oven at 425 degrees, they browned up like the above!
I plated them with a cup of Trader Joe's pizza sauce and went to town.
I actually loved the way that they had a nice thin crisp layer on top, and some fluffy bread on the sides (which was perfect for dipping in the pizza sauce)! If you're not into the dipping sauce thing, I'd coat the inside of the dough with pizza sauce for flavor and moisture before adding the filling and baking.
The filling options are endless between various meats, veggies, and sauces. I think it's safe to say I'll definitely be trying some additional iterations of these because they are very satisfying :) In case you're curious, this is how Justin eats his... just ripped the top right off...
And I'm happy that I have a third one for a work lunch!

1 comment: