Saturday, May 18, 2013

Chickpea burgers

I created a random chickpea veggie burger recipe yesterday in order to use up a bunch of spare ingredients from the fridge! These are kinda falafel-ish and very flavorful.
Here's what I used (this made 5 patties):
-1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
-1/2 cup dry red lentils (which turned into about 1 full cup cooked)
-1/4 cup cilantro
-1/2 green bell pepper, diced
-1/2 onion, diced
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1/2 cup baby carrots
-1/4 cup oat flour (any type of flour is fine)
-1/2 tsp hot sauce (I used Cholula lime)
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp salt
I threw the beans, veggies and cilantro in the food processor first (while I boiled the lentils).
Then I added the spices and flour.
Then the lentils (I tried to get all excess liquid out of them and let them cool before adding, so the burger blend wouldn't be too mushy).
Gave it a spin.
Added some extra hot sauce, because I love me some spice.
And once it got too a nice thick n' chunky consistency, I was ready to form patties.
I grilled them over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes per side. (Note that if you'd prefer them baked all the way through, you could throw them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes instead of grilling them... totally up to you). I like mine nice and crisp on the outside, so grilled in some coconut oil spray worked perfectly..
And I bunned them up with condiments and salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment