Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mocha pancakes

I have to confess.. I ate two batches of pancakes this morning. Batch #1 was berry pancakes, which I've posted before. Batch #2 was mocha pancakes with pumpkin "frosting". They're infused with coffee because sometimes a cup of coffee just isn't enough in the morning... sometimes you need to infuse your food with caffeine, too :)
Here's what I used for these rich cakes.
-1/3 cup flour (I used wheat flour, you can use white if you prefer)
-1.5 tbsp sugar (or baking Splenda)
-1 tsp cocoa powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-1/8 tsp salt
-sprinkle of cinnamon
-1/4 cup strong brewed coffee, chilled
-1/2 cup milk (or water if you want to lower the calories and make the coffee flavor stand out more), you may use more or less than 1/2 cup of liquid depending on how thick you want your pancakes to be.

And here's what I used for the "frosting". Feel free to taste and adjust as you mix, and change the ratio of these 3 ingredients depending on how sweet or pumpkin-y you want it to be.
-1/4 cup vanilla bean greek yogurt (I used the fat-free kind from Trader Joe's)
-1.5 tbsp pumpkin puree (I used Libby's)
-1.5 tsp torani sugar-free vanilla syrup (if you don't have this, you can use honey or maple syrup instead, with a little touch of vanilla extract)
First I mixed the dry cake ingredients together.
Nothing like chocolate in the morning :)
Then I added the wet ingredients to the cake batter, including my chilled coffee.
It looked a little like the above when mixed together.
Then I sprayed a pan with coconut oil and got the cakes cooking over medium heat. Note that my pan had already been heating over medium before I sprayed it with cooking oil and added the batter. Pre-heating the pan is key here.
Then I mixed the frosting ingredients together.
To get this nice orange topping. Had a little flashback to Halloween even though it's May.
And I added a little cinnamon and nutmeg on top for good measure.
Then I stacked up my pancakes with layers of "frosting".
And I dug into the layers and layers of cake and topping. So rich and so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment