Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Pumpkin bundts

I'm stuck in a rut this week cooking my usual dinner faves; enchiladas, paninis, chili. But I did go the extra mile by baking something new tonight! I give you... pumpkin-cherry sweet bread in bundt form!
Pumpkin cherry bundt ingredients:
-1.5 cups wheat flour
-3/4 cup granulated sugar (or baking Splenda)
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1 egg
-1/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt
-1/4 cup applesauce
-1/2 cup dried cherries (or another dried fruit, or chocolate chips, or nuts.. let your imagination run wild and throw in whatever mix-ins your'e craving)
Start by pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees, then mix the pumpkin and sugar (I used a kitchen aid mixer).
Then blend in the applesauce and yogurt. (BTW- below is the yogurt I used)
Then mix in the egg.
Followed by the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
Finally, blend in the flour 1/2 cup at a time.
And the texture should look like the above.
Then add your mix-ins.
Coat your bundt tray with cooking spray.
And spoon the mixture in! I wasn't sure how much these would rise, so I didn't fill the bundts too high and I poured the last bit of batter into a mini loaf tin. In actuality, I should have just filled the bundts higher and left it at 6 bundts. The amount would have been just perfect.
Above is the before-oven photo to give you a sense of the amount I packed in. After 20 minutes in the 350 degree oven, it looked like the below. When baking these, check periodically to make sure they get golden brown around the edges, and make sure a knife comes out clean after piercing the bread before shutting down your oven and calling the bundts 'finished'.
When you look at the above after-oven photo, you can see there was still room for more!
Regardless, it made a beauty of a tasty bundt when I popped the finished product out of the pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment