Saturday, May 11, 2013

Strawberry cinnamon rolls

These turned out much better than my first try at cinnamon rolls!
I'm still salivating over them.
OK here's what I used for the rolls themselves (I'll get to the glaze later).
-2 cups white flour
-2 tbsp granulated sugar (no Splenda here- very important!)
-3/4 cup milk
-3/4 tsp salt
-2 tsp active yeast
-2 cups frozen strawberries, chopped
-4 packets stevia (for filling only)
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp cinnamon (for filling)
-1 tbsp oil of preference (vegetable, canola, etc)
First warm the milk in a pyrex cup in the microwave so it's just lukewarm, not hot. Then add the sugar and yeast. I realized my dough didn't puff enough the first time I tried cinnamon rolls because I was an idiot and used splenda instead of real sugar. You need the real sugar because it reacts with the yeast to give you puffy rolls :)
Let this sit for 5 minutes and it'll react to make the below.
Then combine with the flour/salt mix and 1 tbsp oil.
Knead it very well (at least a few minutes) until you get a ball like below. Then put it in a greased mixing bowl and cover it so it can rise for 2 hours. My dough ball rose well today when I placed it near a window with warm sunlight coming in. 
While the dough rose, I got to work on the filling. I chopped up frozen strawberries and put them in a pan over high heat to create a compote to spread on my dough.
Once they started bubbling and reducing, I added 4 packets of Splenda plus the vanilla extract and cinnamon for flavoring.
And it all reduced into the below.
After my dough rose for 2 hours (and nearly doubled in size!), I rolled it out into a rectangle.
Added the topping (yes, the lighting was strange and what should've looked red appears brown..)
Then I rolled up the dough (starting with the longer side) to create a nice long roll.
And I cut pieces about 1/2 inch thick.
Then I greased square baking tins and placed the rolls inside with a little breathing room for them to expand into.
I pre-heated the oven for 350 degrees while I let the individual rolls expand a little more before going in the oven.
Then I baked them at 350 for about 25 minutes to get the below golden-brown beauties.
While they baked, I made glaze. I didn't measure parts, but basically mixed a bunch of powdered sugar with a little bit of milk and vanilla extract.
Until it reached this consistency.
And I spooned it onto a roll!
Which I quickly devoured.
And Justin did the same.. with about 1/2 the entire batch of rolls. I'll consider that a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment