Friday, May 24, 2013

Thai coconut-lime shrimp

I made this dish for my shrimp-lover brother's birthday dinner!
I used the following (for 3 servings):
-3/4 lb shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
-1/2 cup coconut milk (I used the light kind)
-1/2 cup broth (I used veggie, but chicken broth would work too)
-1/2 cup chopped onion
-1/2 cup diced tomato, juice pre-drained
-2 tbsp cilantro
-1 tbsp minced ginger root
-1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 tsp curry powder
-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- juice from 1 lime
-barley or rice to go with it
After I peeled all the shrimp, I put the onions in an extra large pan and sauteed them for a few minutes over medium heat. Then I added the tomatoes, coconut milk, broth, garlic, ginger, and spices. I sauteed the mushrooms in a separate pan since they release a lot of juice and I wasn't sure it would blend well with my mixture.
After about 10 minutes to cooking the sauce over medium heat to reduce the juice, I added my shrimp and stirred them around over medium for 4 minutes, until they were pink.
Then I added the mushrooms.
Followed by the lime juice.
And added cilantro for me and Justin (the brother's a cilantro hater).
And put it all over barley (for me) and white rice (for the boys)!

No comments:

Post a Comment