Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Healthy cocoa PB&J cookies

I made these cookies for breakfast. Don't judge.
They're full of peanut butter for a healthy dose of protein, jam for a healthy dose of fruit, cocoa for antioxidants, whole wheat, and a little coconut oil for healthy fats. Well rounded breakfast, right? And believe it or not, I made them low-cal by using better n' peanut butter.
Ingredients:
-1 cup wheat flour (I like using 100% white wheat flour from Trader Joe's because it's not all grainy like normal whole wheat flour)
-1/8 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/3 cup cocoa powder
-3/4 cup better n' peanut butter (at room temp)
-1/2 cup coconut oil (at room temp)
-1 egg
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 cup granulated sugar (I used baking Splenda)
-1/4 cup blackberry jam
To start, I pre-heated the oven to 375 and mixed the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together in a a bowl.
In a separate bowl, I blended the sugar, coconut oil and peanut butter together.
Once blended, I added the egg and vanilla extract to the oil/PB/sugar mixture and continued to beat it.
Next I added in the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt mixture a little bit at a time, until my batter looked like the below.
Then I sprayed baking sheets with coconut oil spray, rolled my batter into approx 15 balls, placed them a couple inches apart on the baking sheets, and made indentations in the middle of each one for my jam filling!
Which I spooned in...
Before baking at 375 degrees for 12 minutes.
And making the kitchen smell dreamy.
Yummmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment