Sunday, June 9, 2013

One pot healthiness

My dad has an endless appetite, so when he's in town I like to make giant one pot meals that he can dig into throughout the day. Last weekend, I was a little limited in terms of ingredients, but I managed to create a good mix of veggies, sweet potatoes and brown rice. It was a hearty crowd-pleaser!
Ingredients:
-1 cup brown rice
-2 cups plus 1/4 cup veggie broth
-1/2 onion chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 red pepper, chopped
-1 large sweet potato, cubed into small pieces
-3 cups (dry) kale
-1/2 tsp oregano
-1/2 tsp dried basil
-1/2 tsp dried thyme
-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)

The key to this dish is cooking the rice part-way through before mixing it with everything else for bake time in the dutch oven within a 350 degree oven.

To start, I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees and got 2 cups veggie broth boiling in a pot. I added the cup of brown rice to the broth, turned heat to low, covered it, and let it simmer for 30 minutes.

While the rice cooked part-way, I got out the dutch oven and sauteed the onion, garlic and red pepper with the herbs (oregano, thyme, basil) for a few minutes, until the pepper was softened and the onion was slightly translucent. Then I added the sweet potato pieces and continued sauteeing a few more minutes. Once the rice had cooked for 30 minutes, I added it to the dutch oven (with any excess liquid from the rice pot) along with the beans, kale, salt, and pepper.
I poured the extra 1/4 cup veggie broth on top and put it in the oven to bake at 350 for about 23 minutes (until the rice was cooked all the way through), after which it looked like the below!
This can keep hungry family members satisfied for days!

No comments:

Post a Comment