Tuesday, June 25, 2013

R&D Kitchen

R&D is a group of Hillstone restaurants that test menu items for consideration at Houston's, Bandera, South Beverly Grill, and the like! I've always wanted to eat at their location on Montana Ave and I finally did.
First of all, I was amazed that it was so crowded on a Tuesday night! The place was packed to the gills, both the tables and the bar area. There was a 25 minute wait for a table so we opted to eat at the bar.
Started with a glass of champagne.
And admired the surfing meerkat at the end of the bar (I think it's a meerkat at least).
Justin and I shared the chicken meatballs with spaghetti and the veggie burger. The chicken meatballs were excellent- seasoned really well with lots of fresh herbs and a light tomato sauce with just enough garlic to make my tastebuds very happy. There was just a touch of parmesan and fresh broccoli on the side (I love that they add fresh veggie with the meatballs and spaghetti)!
The veggie burger patty was made of fresh veggies (seems like a no-brainer, but I feel like lots of restaurant veggie burgers just have beans/grains or tofu these days). In addition to the veggies, it had almonds which gave the patty a unique crunch. And I sense it had some beans and maybe egg for a binding ingredients. All in all,very tasty. It was topped with fresh avocado, vinegar-y greens (yum!) and tomato.
Here it is up close... all Hillstone restaurants have the best brioche burger buns. Best bread ever.
R&D is a winner in my book. It even would have been worth the 25 minute wait had we not been able to slip into seats at the bar :)

No comments:

Post a Comment