Saturday, June 15, 2013

Secret ingredient lemon bars

I found this lemon bar recipe awhile back and have been meaning to try it (click here for link to ingredients!)
The reason it took me so long to bake it was because it required a special ingredient: silken tofu.
It isn't something I normally have lying around my kitchen, but I found it at Trader Joe's and it was worth it!
I started with the crust- whole wheat flour, powdered sugar and coconut oil with a pinch of salt.
Mixed it well and spooned it into my 8x8 baking sheet.
Then popped it in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes, and got to work on the filling.
Lemon juice and powdered sugar went in the blender.
With some cornstarch, and the special ingredient.
It all got blended well.
And spooned onto the baked crust before spending some time in the oven and turning into this:
As Katie's recipe recommended, I added a pinch of turmeric for color. What surprised me is the yellow color seemed very light before the mix went into the oven. And when it came out, the yellow coloring was brilliant!
Since Justin refuses to eat anything with tofu in it, I get this sweet tastiness all to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment