Monday, August 19, 2013

Catal

This post is way late. Despite my blogging laziness of late, I went to the effort of photographing an awesome meal at Catal (in Downtown Disney Anaheim). So now I owe it to myself (and you!) to post the photos. Catal is one of a few Patina Group restaurants near Disneyland. My other favorite is Tortilla Jo's. In case you're curious, here's my meal from Tortilla Jo's the night before the Catal meal. Pulled pork braised in citrus with black beans, spanish rice, and salsa. Yummm:
Now back to Catal, I'm starting the post with dessert (though I didn't start the actual meal this way), just because this is the best bread pudding I've ever had.
What I ACTUALLY started with was the heirloom tomatoes. These tomatoes were so juicy and flavorful. The clear beads spread across them are actually drops of white balsamic vinegar soaked in cold oil to form little vinegar pearls. Those combined with the tomatoes and toasted garlic bread were amazing. One piece of this course got left behind, and that was the sardines. Despite several attempts, I've never developed a taste for those things. Yick.
Next up were the main dishes. I got salmon with cauliflower mash and balsamic-marinated eggplant. I wish I had the recipe for the cauliflower mash- it was so unique and so good. I think there may have been some butternut squash in the mix because it had a great sweetness and orange color to it.
Justin avoided the eggplant and cauliflower-y dish like the plague. He opted for the halibut. Served over fingerling potatoes and roasted squash. Both fish filets (the halibut and my salmon) were cooked to perfection- not too cooked on the inside with a crisp outer layer.
And then we had that wonderful bread pudding. With caramelized bananas and cinnamon ice cream. I might have to attempt something like this at home sometime- though I doubt it would measure up.

2 comments:

  1. BLAST, our passes expired, and we never ate at either of those places! Boohoo! That bread pudding looks beyond outstanding.

    ReplyDelete