Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Butternut squash stew

 
Even though it still feels like summer in LA, I'm getting into fall by eating lots of pumpkin and squash. Lots. This stew is uber healthy and loaded with squash.
Ingredients (4 servings):
3 chicken breasts
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 can diced tomatoes
(1) 12 oz package cubed butternut squash
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced kalamata olives
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano

First I steamed up the butternut squash the lazy way. In the micro.
I ran it on high for about 3 minutes until tender. Then I removed half the squash pieces. I kept the rest going for another 3 minutes or so, until they were easy to mash.
 While the squash was cooking, I was also poaching the chicken breasts in veggie broth.
I got the water boiling, then inserted the raw chicken, and let it cook on medium-high heat, covered, for 15 minutes.
I took the chicken out (leaving the broth in the pot), and made sure the chicken was cooked all the way through. Then did some shredding.
Next I got to chopping the onion and garlic. And I sauteed it with the salt, pepper and oregano.
Then I added it to the broth.
I also added the mashed butternut squash and diced tomatoes.
And 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa. Once the quinoa was in, I kept the pot at a simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. I added the olives.
Then added the rest of the cubed squash (the stuff that went unsmashed) and the shredded chicken. I let the complete mix of ingredients simmer together for about 5 minutes covered.
Then served it up!
This already had its fair share of vegetables, but I still felt a need for greens. So I made a kale salad, too :) Because in my opinion there's no such thing as too many vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! I am going to try my hand at butternut squash mac and cheese tomorrow, but the recipe involved steaming the squash with a steamer, which I do not have - glad to learn I can just do it in the micro! Yay!

    ReplyDelete