Thursday, October 10, 2013

Crab cakes & slaw

With the recent chicken recall, I've been opting for seafood this week. I randomly decided to try crab cakes last night, and though they did turn out OK, I will not be making them again due to labor involved. Case in point below.
After starting with that crazy thing which made my kitchen smell like the sea, I managed to get the below.
Getting the meat out of that sucker was tedious. And then I had to make sure there were no shell bits inside the meat. I checked the pile for shell several times before I felt confident there was none in there. Lots of work after a long day of work. Never again. But anyway, once I had that meat pile, I used the following health conscious crab cake recipe (divided by 2 since I made 2 cakes instead of 4).

(To make 4 cakes)
-8 oz crab meat
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1 tsp worcestershire sauce
-1 egg
-2 tbsp mayo (I subbed plain greek yogurt for mayo)
-1/2 cup panko (bread crumbs)
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1/4 tsp paprika
-1/2 tsp kosher salt
-2 tbsp flat leaf parsley

Mixed it all together:
And instead of pan frying, I baked it on a baking sheet (well coated in cooking spray) in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes, until the cakes browned up.
And served it on buns with coleslaw (coleslaw recipe below).
Slaw ingredients:
  • 1/2 carrot shredded plus 3/4 small green cabbage, chopped (I used about 3/4 of a bag of pre-chopped cabbage/carrot mix because I deserved a shortcut after dealing with that nasty crab)
  • zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

  • I mixed the dressing together.
    Then poured it in the slaw and tossed it around.
    The slaw paired well with the cakes, and I had some leftover. I ate the leftovers today and I must say this slaw is even better the next day after it's soaked up the juices. I'll probably make the slaw again because it was a thousand times easier than the crab cakes. Now you've witnessed my first and last homemade crab cake extravaganza.

    2 comments:

    1. They sell crab meat at Whole Foods that's already out of the claw and super fresh - we used it in a cooking class I took once. Tastes great and you don't have to worry about struggling to get the meat out of the shell. I've also used the stuff they have in cans at groceries and Trader Joe's - some is actually pretty expensive and high quality! I'm going to try these - they look great.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Aha noted! Maybe I will try again then :) And I'm thinking about going crazy and adding a little Dijon mustard to the mix for a little extra zing next time!

      ReplyDelete