Saturday, October 5, 2013

Kung Pao chicken

I recently tried a healthy take on Chinese take-out, and it was very post-worthy :)

Ingredients:
-1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
-1 egg white
-3 tbsp cornstarch
-2 tbsp sesame oil
-1.5 tbsp chili paste
-2 tbsp orange juice
-1.5 tbsp honey
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-1.5 tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
-2 tbsp green onion
I started with egg whites and cornstarch. Whisked the two together like so...
Then mixed the cubed chicken with it.
Then transferred the coated chicken to a well-sprayed sautee pan for a few minutes on each side over medium-high heat.
I was a little skeptical when the whole mixture stuck together after 3 minutes on one side...
But trust me it all turned out OK. I transferred the heap of chicken to a plate and cleaned up the pan so I could start on the sauce. I added 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the pan over medium-high heat, then threw the garlic in there to simmer for about a minute (no more so as not to burn it).
Then I got out my ingredients for the sauce.
And mixed them together (with the second tablespoon of sesame oil, too).
Then added the mix to the garlic pan and turned up the heat to medium-high again...
And let it boil for a few minutes before putting the chicken back in.
I chopped up the green onion and added that in, too. I sauteed the chicken another 5 minutes or so, until it was cooked all the way through.
I added some carbs (wild rice), and veggies (steamed  broccoli), and served it up! Sweet, spicy and tasty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment