Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Mahi curry

This is a delayed post from my week of no chicken (due to the Foster Farms news). I got some mahi filets and tried a food network magazine recipe that was pretty good. But I have suggestions for improvement (or rather adding more spice)!
That sauce added the main flavor. But if I make this dish again I'll definitely add more sauce plus more heat (jalapeno seeds, cayenne pepper, tapatio, or any other form of spice you enjoy).

Ingredients:
-1/4 cup yellow curry sauce
-1/2 cup coconut milk
-1/2 cup boiling water
-2 mahi filets
-1 fistful of cilantro, chopped fine
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 red bell pepper, diced
-1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
-1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced (I pulled the seeds out for fear they'd add too much intense heat, but I then wished I'd left them in).
-1/2 yellow onion, diced
-(1) 12 oz bag cubed butternut squash
-zest of one lime
First put the curry sauce in a bowl and zest the lime over it. So your lime is naked like this (you can save it and use the juice for something else, maybe my peanut butter curry).
Then chop the mahi into 1-inch chunks and coat them in the mixture so they can soak it up while the veggies sautee. Next, chop the veggies (bell pepps and jalapeno), and garlic, and sautee them over medium-high heat with coconut oil spray (or any other oil of choice).
So they get translucent.
At which point you add coconut milk (take not of my pan's color change- I realized my first pan was too small and had to transfer to a bigger one). I then added boiling water.
And squash chunks.
And let it all sit over medium-high heat, covered, for about 20 minutes.
Until the butternut squash was tender. Then I added the uncooked mahi chunks coated in curry/lime zest. And re-covered the pot.
Then let it sit over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes more. Until the mahi was white and cooked all the way through...
And the squash and veggies were uber tender. Then I prepared the finishing touch (cilantro).
Put it all over rice.
And dug in.
Then added some hot sauce to cure the slight blandness. As I mentioned before, next time I'll try extra curry and leaving some jalapeno seeds in.

No comments:

Post a Comment