Monday, October 7, 2013

Slow cooker pot roast

I've made pot roast in a dutch oven before. This time I took the super-easy route and made it in the slow cooker instead.

Ingredients:
-2 lbs cubed beef tips
-2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
-1 cup baby carrots
-1 white onion, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 tsp paprika
-1 tsp worcestershire sauce
-1 can low sodium beef broth
-1 cup red wine
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1/2 tsp onion powder
-1/4 cup white flour
-1/2 cup mushrooms
-1 bay leaf

I like buying the beef pre-cubed because I have a thing against butchering the raw red meat myself.
First combine the flour, salt, pepper and onion powder like so...
Then pour it in the slow cooker with the cubed beef and mix it all around with a big spoon, so the beef is coated in the dry mixture.
Then prepare the potato cubes, carrots, onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
And throw those in the crock pot (you can add more veggies if you want, I just used up what I had on hand).
Next add the liquids (red wine, beef broth, worcestershire), and the bay leaf, and cook it on low for 10-11 hours, or high for 6-7 hours. The kitchen will smell great and you'll have this flavorful dish at the end!
I wanted some greens with this, so I chopped up some kale with grated carrots and spicy vinaigrette.

My favorite part about this crock pot recipe is the fact that I might be able to make it during the week (most slow cooker recipes I've found are done after 8 hours on low, but this one can go over 10 hours on low which means on a non-busy work day, I could actually get home to it in time)!

No comments:

Post a Comment