If you're looking for a healthy dessert, go to the other dessert recipes on my 'eating in' page. Though this isn't super high-calorie, it's not a dessert I'd normally make. But Justin needed something for a bake-off competition and didn't think the healthy desserts would pass the taste test for normal people (aka, not me), so I went all out with these.
And I have to admit that I'm kind of in love with these now. So I may have a go at a healthier version sometime soon. These have the components of a regular rice krispy treat (rice krispies cereal, marshmallows, butter), but they also add this game changer:
I had forgotten how good Golden Grahams cereal is! Same with game changer #2:
OK so enough build up, here's the recipe. I didn't photograph the process (sorry!) because my hands were super sticky with marshmallow goodness.
-Approx 16 jumbo marshmallows
-13.5 graham cracker squares
-5 cups rice krispies cereal
-1 cup golden grahams cereal
-3 tbsp butter
-1/2 c small chocolate chips
-3/4 cup chocolate chips (melted)
1) Microwave 10 jumbo marshmallows in a large bowl with 3 tbsp butter, then mix it all around until smooth
2) Add rice krispies and golden grahams to the bowl and mix well.
3) Add 1/2 c small chocolate chips to the bowl and mix again.
4) Press entire mixture into 13x9' pan.
5) melt 3/4 cup chocolate and stir until smooth, then spread it over the pressed 13x9' krispy mix in the pan (spread while chocolate's still warm).
5) While chocolate's still warm, place graham cracker squares on top with just a tiny bit of space between the squares (I had to half the squares for the last row).
6) Slice the remaining jumbo marshmallows in half, and place them on a baking sheet in the oven. Broil them on high for a few minutes, until they turn golden-brown.
7) Let the broiled marshmallows cool for a couple of minutes, then squish them atop the graham squares.