Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pesto Pizza

Q: What does one do when there's tons of fresh basil in the fridge and it must be used up before going bad?? A: Make pesto pizza!

Pesto Pizza Ingredients:
-1/2 cup broccoli (mine started frozen, and I heated it up before it went in the food processor)
-1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/4-1/2 tsp salt (I like salty stuff so I err on the side of 1/2 tsp. That being said, it's much easier to add more salt than it is to remove salt)
-1/4 cup walnuts
-1-2 tbsp olive oil, to make it the right consistency (I always try to get away with a lesser amount to reduce fat)
-1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed tightly
-Trader Joe's plain pizza dough
-1 large tomato
-4 slices turkey bacon

Before I start, I'll let you know that the first time I made this, I used too much broccoli and the amount of pesto was a bit overwhelming, so for your sake I've reduced the quantity of ingredients to what I think is the right amount (I used the above quantities the second time I made this and the pesto amount was just right). If for any reason you still have too much pesto, I suggest you use it ASAP because mold grows quickly on fresh basil that's met with olive oil! I sometimes use excess pesto for breakfast the next morning, wrapping it up in a Trader Joe's organic white wheat tortilla with egg beaters and pressing it on my panini press. Anyway, I digress. Back to the pizza.
First, pre-heat your oven to 425. Press out the dough on a well-sprayed pizza stone or cooking sheet.  Then put the broccoli, basil, parmesan, walnuts, oil, garlic, and salt in a food processor and chop it up. Don't blend it too much because you want the consistency to be a little bit chunky. Spread it out on the dough, then chop the tomato into rounds and place it on top of the pesto.
Then dice up the turkey bacon, spray a frying pan, and get those bits nice and browned.
Once the bacon is crispy, sprinkle it atop the pizza and put the whole thing in the oven at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes (check it to make sure the crust is nice and crispy when you take it out). If you like cheese more than I do, you may want to add shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the whole thing before it goes in the oven.
After about 15 minutes, you'll have yourself a healthy and delicious pizza pie. I sprinkled extra basil on mine to polish off my basil stash. I also added red pepper flakes for extra spice. I recommend eating this all at once because the pesto can spoil quickly, or if you want to save it for another meal, I recommend freezing slices and then popping them in the microwave when you want to finish them off. I've frozen slices before and they'll still delicious when re-heated.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy!! That looks tasty and healthy. Needs moar cheese on top, though!! ;)

    ReplyDelete