Monday, June 2, 2014

Super Bowls

I've had too many distractions to complete blog posts in the past several months, and I've got a major food photo backlog to handle! So let's go back to Super Bowl Sunday.

I made several bowls of super food for Super Bowl Sunday this year.  I'll cut to the chase and let the recipes flow.  Key themes here are turkey and veggies with lots of flavor.

I started with my slow cooker so the main dish could simmer while I cooked sides. (Did I mention that the main dish was turkey mole?!)

Turkey Mole Ingredients:
-One 15 oz can diced tomatoes (drained)
-Handful of baby carrots, diced
-1 green bell pepper, diced
-1/4 cup cilantro
-4 scallions, chopped
-2 tablespoons peanut butter (I used Better N' Peanut Butter to cut calories)
-1.5 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
-1 tbsp chili powder
-2 tsp cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-One 2.5 lb skinless, bone-in turkey breast
The steps are all too easy. Stir everything except the cilantro and scallions into the slow cooker, cover and cook for 8 hours on low.  Once the time is up, add the cilantro and scallions and shred the turkey meat carefully, making sure to dispose of all bones! You can eat the shredded chicken over the rice recipe at the bottom of this post, or you can wrap it up in tortillas.
Next up, sweet and sour brussel sprouts...
Sweet N' Sour Brussel Sprouts Ingredients:
-3 slices turkey bacon
-2 lbs halved brussel sprouts
-1/4 cup jam (I used cranberry apricot)
-1 garlic clove, minced
-1 tsp kosher salt
-2 tbsp cider vinegar
-cooking spray

I started by softening the brussel sprouts. I could have boiled them for a few minutes and then blanched them with ice water, but I couldn't be troubled with waiting for a big pot of water to boil and preparing ice water... So I threw the brussels in a microwave-safe bowl with about 1/2 cup of water and covered it tight with plastic wrap, then I gave it about 5 minutes on high.
While the microwave was going, I sprayed a hot frying pan and added diced turkey bacon (I pre-cut the bacon with kitchen scissors so it would cook faster). I added the minced garlic to the bacon and stirred it all around for a few minutes.
Once the brussels were softened, the garlic was smelling good, and the bacon was browned, I added the brussels to the pan (with the hot water to keep them boiling), and I kept stirring.  I then added the salt and cider vinegar.
Next up came the sweetness.. cranberry apricot jam!
Stirred that around.
Then I put the entire mix into a dutch oven and threw that into the oven at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes, so all of the flavors could combine and the brussel sprouts could get a little softer. The finished product smelled like Thanksgiving. Yum.
Now for the Black Eyed Pea Celery Salad...
Black Eyed Pea Celery Salad Ingredients:
-4 slices of turkey bacon
-1 cup sliced celery
-3/4 tsp chili powder
-1/2 tsp kosher salt
-1 can black eyed peas, drained
-4 chopped scallions

First, I got more turkey bacon cooking! (The same as before, just without garlic).
Then, after the bacon cooked several minutes and browned up, I added celery, scallions, chili powder, and kosher salt.  I stirred the mixture around over medium heat for about 5 minutes, so that the celery could soak up the flavors of the bacon, salt and chili powder. 
Then I added the black eyed peas! And let it simmer on low for a few minutes to soak up the last bits of flavor.
Last but not least, I made spiced-up wild rice...
Spiced-up Wild Rice Ingredients:
-2 cups of wild rice (cooked)
-1 fresh orange, juiced
-1 tbsp orange zest
-2 cups spinach
-1/4 cup dried cherries
-1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp kosher salt
-1 tsp sugar

To make this dish, I boiled the water and cooked up the rice, and immediately after the rice finished (while it was still hot), I added the spinach and covered the pot for a minute, just to let it wilt.

Then, in a frying pan, I sauteed the garlic and yellow onion in cooking spray while adding the dried cherries, salt, sugar, orange juice and zest. The cherries plumped up as they soaked in the orange juice. Once the onion was translucent, I added the cooked rice with wilted spinach to the pan, stirred a few minutes on low, and dished it up with all of the other sides.
I definitely made enough to enjoy smaller bowls of the super bowls for work lunches in the week to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment